Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Longest Christmas

Day 51 (12/25): Sydney to Denver (Trains, Planes, Automobiles--Ha Ha!)

First of all, sorry all for the procrastination. I type this final blog posting on January 3, 2009 in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where I plan to spend the next two-plus months while Nola finishes her massage therapy school program. What/where comes after that has not yet been decided. Perhaps that is another Blog (but I doubt it)?

So, back to the trip and its conclusion...

Unlike the previous morning, Christmas day in Sydney dawned bright and sunny, so this time as I headed out for a final jog around town I had my camera in tow. The result are the shots below, all taken from the Royal Botanic Gardens. Since the trees of are one of two things that are most distinctive/indicative of Australia (along with the sun traversing the northern sky--but that is hard to photograph), I have included one final shot of a beautiful tree also in the gardens.

After my jog I returned to the hostel for a fairly leisurely breakfast, shower, and final packing session. Although I planned to take the train to the airport, I loaded my bike as if I were riding since it was the easiest way to transport all my "stuff." Being in my civilian traveling clothes, I never actually rode this last day, just pushed my bike along as needed. Headed out from Hostel at about 10 am for my 3:00 pm flight.

At the airport, Qantas had empty bike boxes (I was worried they'd be out of them), so I bought one and proceeded to strip down and box my bike and cram all my gear into one large duffel bag and one carry-on bag. Unfortunately, during the hour plus it took to do the packing, the lines built up at the check-in counters, so by the time the whole process was finished and I was at the gate ready to board it was nearly 2:00 pm (lunch and last phone calls complete as well).

The long flight from Sydney to LAX went much better/faster than the flight in November; the plane was much less crowded, but mostly because we left at on-time 3:20 pm instead of 1:00 am. Three plus hours in LAX passed quickly as well--no missed connection this time--and by 5 pm I was in my car with Nola heading to her friends place in Denver for a short second Chistmas celebration. Thus concluded my second, but by no means last Australian adventure.

I am going to stop typing for a bit and display my last photos now, but I've a bit more to say below.







Ok, you gluttens for punishment, before I close, I've a couple of reflections on this trip to offer. First of all, though I regret a bit not riding from Adelaide to Ayers Rock/Alice Springs after I decided to shorten my route, I am very sure I was correct in not attempting the "big loop." Simply put, the heat, wind, flies, bush camping, and huge distances would not have been fun and may have been risky/unachievable. Saying that is actually hard because it acknowledges both the limitations and wisdom that come from being 50 rather than 25 or 30! Sorry mom, but no promises I won't resurrect the big loop by-bicycle idea for a future trip--next time riding in the Australian winter when it is cool and dry up north.

From the contents of this and previous posts, I obviously hope to travel in Australia again some day. I've got many ideas, but am not sure what form the next trip might take. Australia is just such a great place to cycle/tour and the people are really delightful as well. I think in the interim though, I might be well served sampling a couple of other foreign destinations first just to see what they have to offer. I guess that could be future Blog fodder as well.

Anybody still reading? If so, take heart I'll finally close. I won't do so without first thanking you all for the interest you've shown in following this trip. Like the mail from home Sandy and I received while down under in 1992, your comments and emails helped me stay a little better connected while so far away and made some pretty lonely nights a little less so. Thanks! And a safe and happy new year to everyone as well. And here's one more shot from the trip--hungry anyone?

No comments: