Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Broome

Day 23 (11/26); Broome, West Australia, Layover Day

Like many of the places I am seeing on this fairly rapid circumnavigation of the northwest portion of Australia, Broome is another place I would like to return to and spend maybe a week or so (preferably not alone next time either). Tried to fit in a fair amount of sightseeing along with a measure of relaxation not driving for a change. Besides getting a nice run in early, probably the highlight of the day was a visit to famous cable beach. Probably the largest, most pristine beach I have ever seen. Not that I did, but you can drive on beach (as people seem to do just to get to where they want to hang out); few were doing so, just not that many people around for such a large expanse of sand.

The hostel I stayed in was a busy, bustling place but everyone was so intent on whatever they were up to, I actually felt a bit lonely there. I did really like the open air setup though. I think a lot of foreigners who were staying there were also working too; thus not the typical tourists generally interested in interacting with others of the same ilk. Did get two good nights sleep in a full 4-bunk room with no snorers; what a bonus.

As you'll see below, Aussies have a different perspective on right-of-way. I stopped once earlier on drive to let someone cross street, driver behind me thought I was nuts and almost rear ended me. Also, that is a Boab tree--I saw some much bigger but couldn't get a shot of them. All for now.










No comments: