Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Take It On Faith

Day 44 (12/18): Thredbo Village; Layover; Merritt Way/Dead Horse Gap/Riverwalk Hile (15 km)

















Must admit, I was dissapointed today. Based on the above photo, you can clearly tell the weather was not ideal for hiking, climbing, or viewing peaks. As the title suggests, you'll just have to believe me when I tell you the above photo is of Mt Kosiouszco (sp?), the highest peak on this continent.


I did hike up the ski hill from the village today in the rain, wind, cold, and even hail (it was low 40's and raining and windy on top). Once there I had a "picnic" and dried out a bit in the ski hill restaurant at the top of the lift. Note that I could have just riden the lift up for $30 to avoiod major hill climb, but Grandpa Neumann wouldn't let me. After lunch I considered continuing to head on up to Mt. K (only another 3 miles one-way of mostly flatish hiking). Based on the view (again, see pic) and that I had not carried full "cold/wet weather" gear up the hill with me, I thought better of it and instead took the long way round back down the hill. That was still pretty and fun and certainly a lot more tame than going further up.

Topping the cake, shortly after I got back to the hostel at about 3 pm it rained VERY hard for about half an hour then hailed several inches (see photo below). I was quite happy to be in the warm/dry at that point. You'll love this Nola: that evening I then planned, if it was clear in the morning, to spontaneously decide to take the ski lift up and hike Mt. K before heading out on the bike. Sadly, it was rainy and still socked in up high next morning too so no go on that plan. Mt K will just have to wait for next time

As to the rest of my visit to Thredbo, I quite enjoyed the YHA hostel I stayed at. There was a much more mixed group of folks there, even a couple of families with younger kids, one of whom celebrated his 7th birthday and gave out chocolate cake to everyone there! I liked the socialability of the place versus the somewhat lonely hostels (e.g., in Broome or Grampians) where most folks are young backpackers going about their own business.










No comments: