Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Grampians And Row Row Row Your Bike

Day 36 (12/9): Wonderland Loop Hike (6 km); Halls Gap to Willaura (bike); 75 km; 18 kph; Willaura Hotel


So this turned out to quite a day--had its moments but a very good day in the end as well. Obviously I must elaborate. Please note the first picture is from afternoon before when I arrived at Hostel in Halls Gap. Classic powernap, awake one moment, asleep for 12 minutes, back to planning/cooking/etc.


Anyway, next morning (12/9) got going on hike in Grampians after a 4 km ride from hostel up steep hill to trailhead/parking lot. Hike was not very difficult but was very scenic, especially for being fairly short. The first photo is what they call the Grand Canyon--it was nice but grand may be a bit much. Next is me on an outcropping at the Pinnacles. This spot had awesome views back down about 500 meters (vertically) to Halls Gap and surrounding area.

After hike got back on bike and headed for Lake Bolac (was to be about a 90 km ride). About two hours out it started raining and steadily increased in intensity from a drizzle to a steady rain. By the time I reached Willaura, about 15 km short of Lake Bolac I was soaked, cold, tired, and had had enough. Town turned out to be smaller than map led me to believe and it only had a hotel, which fortunately DID have rooms (remember, Australian "hotels" are mainly bars/pubs, only some have accomodation as well). Turns out I was only one in rooms so I had my bedroom and the common room (kitchen/TV/couch) next door all to myself. Owners gave me a space heater and a rack so I could dry out all my soaking wet stuff. Also made me a full steak dinner for $12 (half normal price here). Plus there was food in fridge in common room that I raided as well (bread, jam, oleo, milk). My room also had a mascot/guard bear. As I said, day turned out very well thanks mainly to this place!










No comments: